Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day 2012


Sunday night we barbequed marinated pork chops, and had baked beans and deviled eggs. We picked the best camping ground in the state of Nebraska: Our backyard .
 
 

Later that night we made s'mores! They were a hit:
 
 

Gwen has a flashlight toy that is a character from Toy Story 3. It was the kids' favorite toy last night:

Matt didn't want to go to the union day parade-oops, I mean Labor Day parade. But we asked the kids if they wanted to go and they said yes. First up, a union I can appreciate:

Governor Heineman! I resisted taking pictures of his bodyguards, but boy were they fierce!

Fred Flintstone!

For Zeke, I took a pic of these zombies:

I love Runza, so here is a picture of Rex:

A steel union had this beautiful eagle riding by, in addition to a globe and a superhero:
 

Humidity was kicking in, and I noticed a large drop of perspiration in the middle of my forehead:

Matt took over the camera at this point and didn't get a head-on picture of Bugs Bunny. But the boys were happy to see him:

Gwen and I tried to meet Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and the Little Mermaid. We got an "autographed" picture of Cinderella:

Buddy, from PBS's "Dinosaur Train" is trailing another union I approve of:

I don't really know why I didn't try harder to take pictures of the kids enjoying the sights, but they were trying to collect goods from the candy tossers. :) We left the parade after about an hour because of the weather, and Mom and Dad's attention span, so I know we missed some fun balloon characters, but oh well! We had two candy tossers specifically give us handfuls, because of the amount of children they saw we had. Boo-ya! Not to mention all the candy the boys collected themselves.

Anyway, fun times.
~The Hoveys

2 comments:

shiloh said...

Ah, I should just start letting my kids camp in the backyard. It would be so awesome to get to camp without the crowds-I just haven't tried it because of the heat. And that parade looks great. Any parade with actual inflatables make me think of places like NYC. Way cooler than the parades around here. Good job for making it there for the kiddos.

Christine said...

What a fun way to celebrate! No parades here that I knew of. One year Ashley was in a cheer-leading class and the boys came to watch her in her parade. They complained a little on the way there but once the candy started getting tossed they didn't complain a bit! ;)