Friday, October 8, 2010

Boy Did I Jump the Gun!!

Matt and I worked really hard doing all sorts of things this past week along the lines of baby prep. We were told by the high risk OB (Dr. Barsoom) that Gweneth would need to come in one to two weeks. As the time got closer to our final ultrasound my anxiety levels shot upward.
That same morning was an appointment with my regular OB (Dr. Hicks), who read her notes from Dr. Barsoom. The notes said a cesarean "in a few weeks". Different from the one to two he told us. So I just kept it on the back burner until the ultrasound later that day. The first thing Barsoom says after walking into the room is, "So, when do you want to have a baby?" Uuuuughgh...
It turns out her head only grew three days worth in the last week. Normal. His strong suggestion is to wait until 39 weeks- two weeks from now. Give her time to completely develop and not risk other complications.
He also mentioned that he doesn't see a need for her to go to the NICU. They will be aware of her, but that's about it. So I am happy she is protectively inside me for a bit longer, but selfishly irritated because I had mentally prepared for her sooner. All in all she STILL gets to come a week early. So why do I whine? I'm pathetic. I will set a date at Dr. Hicks' appointment on the 14th.

I'm grateful that my doctors are on the same page and that even though we weren't we are now.

I've probably forgotten some sort of details, but that's all you're gettin'!
~The Hoveys

2 comments:

Lifes Little Adventures said...

Maggie, I think it is OK to whine a little. I am one who does mental prep, and sometimes when things don't go the way I plan I feel like its the end of the world...lol. I am glad she gets a little more time, and I hope the time goes by quickly for you! My first baby came 10 days early, so I thought that was the norm. When my second one went a week over the due date I thought for sure I would die. Alas, here we are, alive and well, and I have managed to keep my sanity. Hang in there Chicky. I am sorry. I kind of chuckled, but I know what you are going through. You are going to be a great mom of three!

kristin said...

Oh, I can't believe the dr. would tell you 1-2 when he wrote down and meant a few. SO annoying! I am REALLY happy to hear that it will be safe for you to wait until 39 weeks. Your body protecting her and nurturing her for longer I'm sure will make her happy. (Now, you happy....probably not so much. ha ha.) good luck!