Sunday, September 5, 2010

Good Ol' West Point, Nebraska

My sister Kate and my nephews Grant and Mitch came to Lincoln for about five days toward the end of August. We hadn't seen Grandma Martin for a while so it was time to get in touch! We all met up at a nice central location in West Point, Nebraska. For me it was about an hour Northwest of Omaha. I was petrified to drive alone with the boys. But I was so proud of myself and Grandma was like, "Oh it's not that hard!" I'm like, YES! IT IS!! :-)
We ate at a restaurant that we always used to eat at but it is now under a different name. When I saw it from the outside I thought it looked so small compared to what I remember. Guess time changes things like that!We then thought it would only be fair if we took all the boys to the park to stretch their legs. So we went to the park next to the public pool we used to travel to and swim competitively for Parks and Rec. THAT was a blast from the past! They even had some of the old playground equipment we knew. One of which was the wooden horse you will see in the following pictures:

Here is Mom and Zeke at the beloved swing:


Kate and Grant going cowboy on the wooden horse:

Zeke and Grant on the wooden horse:

The cousins- Back: Zeke, Reid, Grant. Front: baby Mitch:

Four generation picture, Grandma-Belva Martin, Mom-Denise Ashby, myself, Ezekiel and Reid:
My pictures do not give Mitch justice, but he looks a little like one of our kids! He is a mix of Matt and Jason, so that was kinda the joke that poor little Mitch was Matt and Jason's baby!

Gweneth Elizabeth update: I have had three weeks of no appointments. Very nice! But last Thursday had one with my regular OB/GYN and I measure exactly where I should be at 32 weeks. I've got an ultrasound on the 10th, and I am very excited. I just love seeing her details so clearly because she is so big.
Zeke and Reid have had a great Summer I'd say. Zeke is excited to start learning to read here pretty soon, and he is anticipating his upcoming birthday. Reid is coming out with some two to three word phrases. I think those phrases will blossom excessively in the next month. They are my pride and joy!
We got an accent wall painted, but I am not ready to show any sort of finished product. We're getting there. YES, the room was well ventilated for my sake!
Matt continues to pull up ugly bushes in our back yard. We will aerate and seed this weekend. YAY!
I am trying to think of what else... I don't know!! This post is long enough anyway, so I will say adieu,
~The Hoveys

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Yay for ultrasounds! Glad you are measuring well. Love the paint color. Matt looks so excited to be painting. hee hee. Way to drive by yourself! I'd be nervous too. My kids whine a lot in the car.

Unknown said...

Are you wearing a Green Gateau t-shirt?

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

I'm so excited about painting an accent wall. Haha...the silly things us adults get excited about. It's always nice NOT to go to the doctor. That's a way cool swing the boys were playing on!

Stephanie said...

Family outings are such fun, and childhood places are never as grand as we remember them.

I had no idea that you were 32 weeks. You are so close, and yet still so far.

Christine said...

The "rocking horse" at the park reminds me of the park I remember growing up in. I still live next to it and a few years ago they deemed all the old playground equipment unsafe and took it out to put in the newfangled run of the mill stuff.

I was sad at first until I started looking at it with new eyes...there was a metal cowboy pointing a gun at you...a rocket ship that was very tall and my kids would get stuck in it when they would get scared wouldn't come down (I almost got stuck trying to get them down)...a huge slide that barely had a lip on the side and tall swings...what did I do as a kid to keep from killing myself???

When I saw the rocking horse all I could think about after you mentioned how long it had ben there was "did they get any splinters on it?" Ha ha. I'm turning into a safety freak too.