Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ode to Elder Hovey

Ode to Russell, my missionary brother-in-law. I've been thinking about you today, we pray for you all the time.


“Mission California”

On an airplane headed West Coast, I sat coach, 6B

Forgot to take my ‘dork dot’ off, from the MTC

Looked at my companion, can’t pronounce his name

Saw the look on his face, think he feels the same

Light says fasten your seat belts

We are about to land

I winced when I looked down

And saw the sweat in my hand

Flight attendant stared and said, “You don’t look great”

I said, “Gracias, pero Señora, ¿conoce mi fe?”

She chuckled pointing out the window

And I could see them say…

Welcome to the Mission California

Arcadia (Arcadia)

Arcadia

Proselytizing in Mission California

Knocking everywhere (knocking everywhere)

Teaching here and there

Shook hands with the mission President, a tall and burly man

Met the guy who’d train me, got into the van

He gave a list that I had to memorize

I asked what libro meant, he just rolled his eyes

He called me a Greenie, and

He rubbed at his temples

And When I flashed him a quick smile trying to show off my dimples

He said, “Dude, Elder, lighten up, it’ll be okay”

The field is white it’s ready to harvest

Listen to me say…

Welcome to the Mission California

Arcadia (Arcadia)

Arcadia

There’s plenty of people to chat with in Arcadia

Get lots of GQ’s (Get lots of GQ’s)

And fill up those pews

Between the appointments

There were always failings

But I know I can look forward each week as I read your mailings

As we leave our apartment

With our heads held up high

Our stomachs hungry from fasting

Upon the Lord we rely

Now I can tell time with transfers

Y puedo hablar

The language with such confidence

And I drive the mission car

We’ve baptized anointed

And chosen children of God

Strengthened many to nurture their faith

And grasp the Iron rod

Parody to “Hotel California” by the Eagles


By Maggie Hovey

Age 24

Omaha, NE

February 23, 2008


No comments: