Our first field trip of the season was at Ak-Sar-Ben Aquarium near Gretna, Nebraska!
The employees there would take out the frogs and snakes from the terrariums for the children to touch:
Then there were tables labeled "please touch". Very appropriate, I thought. So there were shells, skulls feathers, etc.:
Then there were taxidermy AND stuffed animals. Ha ha:
A tracing table:
A theatre where we learned about different tails:
I really don't know how this happened, but I never took one picture of the aquarium itself. Sorry! There were enormous catfish and all sorts of fish native to Nebraska. It was neat.
Very scenic. I love Fall! I think I might figure out how to photoshop the children into some of these pictures. Ha ha!
So the aquarium was very cool. We were there with our friends the Woods and the Woods had invited their friends whose last name I never picked up. However, they would come to be very important to me by the end of the visit.
Saints be praised, I decided first to leave. Had I not and had left last, for example, we'd have been in trouble. The car wouldn't start. We tried charging it but the battery was fine. Long story short, Em's friend Jamie took her family home, then came back to pick up the kids and follow Em to her home so that Em could watch the kids until the tow truck dropped me off at the mechanic and I could walk to her house. Em had to cancel piano lessons and everything.
Emily and Jamie were amazing. I felt very blessed to have been with them. Such compassion. Thank you both.
So this is how my field trip ended:
There were two men that came in the truck. An elder training a younger. The younger had a Minnesota sweatshirt on. I told him I was a Nebraska fan and wondered if there was going to be any trouble. :)
I had to back out of two visiting teaching appointments because of this. Very sad about that. Hopefully today they will fix up the car and all will be well again.
~Hoveys
No comments:
Post a Comment