Friday, October 25, 2013

As the World Turns

A few days ago, the local news reported about a home invasion. A 16 year old boy broke into an elderly woman's home to steal her TV. He beat her, broke the TV and then left empty handed. Although not releasing the name first because of his minor status, they have decided to charge him as an adult.
The morning after the story broke is when they released his name. A rather difficult one to pronounce as it is of Native American origin. When I heard it on the radio it meant nothing to me. But then I saw it on Facebook. The last part of his first name is Waheega. That is in fact the name he goes by. Or at least it was four years ago when I knew him last.
Waheega is a young man who was in my Webelos Den. He was in my Primary class at church. I took him to Scouts nearly every week even after we moved to the opposite side of town. His grandparents tried hard to raise him and his brother and sister as their parents are themselves criminal.
My heart just hurts for them. For him. I look at his mug shot, which, by the way is a previous one as he is still at large, and I see his eyes. You know how you can just watch an episode of 48 Hours or 20/20 or something, and they interview the accused and you just see deadness behind their eyes? Well, I daresay their crimes are worse, so maybe it isn't comparable, but I see more in Waheega's eyes. I wonder if it is just me being goofy, or if it is just different because I know him. I know his spirit.
It is hard to watch the news since the story broke, and hear them say that if you see this man, don't approach him because he is dangerous.
We're praying for them. Oh, so sad.

Just wanted to share what is on my mind.
~Hoveys

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Oh man, that is heart breaking! We hear so much about crime now, but when it's personal it really hits you. Criminals aren't faceless people, they have backgrounds and people whose hearts are breaking over their choices.