So last Thursday we had a field trip with our friends. We went to PetCo. We intended to have a little bit of educational value, but I think anyone who was eight and older got anything out of it. The younger kids were a little too excited to focus.
But any time we do a field trip I try to get them in my homemade bleach pen field trip T-Shirts that say "HIL". Hovey Institute for Learning. They love these shirts.
While there, at PetCo, I sold my soul and agreed to adopt our friend's lizard Larry. He is a bearded dragon who is either two or three years old. Maybe about eighteen inches long from nose to tail. His lunch is more entertaining than he is much of the time. For he eats mealworms and crickets. Seriously, our house sounds like it is the middle of Summer. Kinda nice since there is a blizzard coming our way in a couple days. We renamed him Homestar. His name almost came from "Star Wars" though. He was almost R2D2, Jabba the Hut, Bubba Fett, Chewbacca, and maybe a couple others. Matt and I for a time thought we would call him Alf. But the kids and us all agreed on Homestar.
I suspect maybe he will shed skin soon, and am told he looks very pretty after the fact. In the picture he is fast asleep cozied right up next to his heated rock. Zeke decided yesterday that he needed salt and pepper all over him and his cage. That was annoying to clean, let me tell ya. But that night we set some boundaries at Family Home Evening. Now, the biggest worry I think I have is Gwen, who likes to bang on Homestar's glass and sprinkle water on him from her sippy cup. Yay.
I can't believe we are a pet family now. Weird.
~Hoveys
Dec 31st, 2013
1 year ago
1 comment:
Fun! Yay for you! I always thought it was weird when people DIDN'T have pets. Hope you guys have fun with him. :)
Post a Comment