I gave a talk in church last Sunday. It is flawed grammatically and all that, but if you can look past that then you can look past anything! Before getting right into the talk, I just wanted to say that the whole weekend was a busy one. I substitute coached the Young Women basketball team Saturday morning and then was the Primary representative at a baptism that afternoon. The other members of the presidency were out of town. Sunday morning, I went to ward council. After that was the talk and after that I played the role of an entire presidency. It was mostly smooth. I'm so grateful that people just magnify their callings. SO grateful. Here is the talk:
I was asked
to speak on the topic of “positive family relationships,” given a talk from
Elder Oaks in the October 2005 Conference as a reference. To begin my talk with
a quote located near the end of Elder Oaks’ talk, he says, “The theology of The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints centers on the family. Our relationship to
God and the purpose of earth life are explained in terms of the family. We are
the spirit children of heavenly parents. The gospel plan is implemented through
earthly families, and our highest aspiration is to perpetuate those family
relationships throughout eternity. The ultimate mission of our Savior’s Church
is to help us achieve exaltation in the celestial kingdom, and that can only be
accomplished in a family relationship.
No
wonder our Church is known as a family-centered church. No wonder we are
distressed at the current legal and cultural deteriorations in the position of
marriage and childbearing. At a time when the world seems to be losing its
understanding of the purpose of marriage and the value of childbearing, it is
vital that Latter-day Saints have no confusion about these matters.”
All
because two people fell in love. Jane Austin’s character in “Pride and
Prejudice: declares, “Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance.”
Not so, I say! There are more elements to it than that. “Gender, as declared in
“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,” is ‘an essential characteristic of
individual premortal, moral and eternal identity and purpose.’ The differences
between men and women are not simply biological. They are woven into the fabric
of the universe, a vital foundational element of eternal life and divine nature”.
Elder
Oaks talks about the differences of priesthood authority in the church and in
the home saying, “if we fail to recognize and honor the differences, we
encounter difficulties.” One difference is in partnership. Family government is
patriarchal, and that of the church is hierarchical. The family proclamation
says “In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to
help one another as equal partners.”
As
quoted by elder Oaks, President Kimball said, “When we speak of marriage as a partnership,
let us speak of marriage as a full partnership. We
do not want our LDS women to be silent partners or
limited partners in that eternal assignment!
Please be a contributing and full partner.”
President
Benson gives us several aids to strengthen our marital relationship. He says,
“Marriage itself must be regarded as a sacred covenant before God. A married
couple have an obligation not only to each other, but to God. He has promised
blessings to those who honor that covenant.
Fidelity to
one’s marriage vows is absolutely essential for love, trust, and peace.
Husbands and
wives who love each other will find that love and loyalty are reciprocated.
Prayer in
the home and prayer with each other will strengthen your union.
Rely on the
Lord, the teachings of the prophets, and the scriptures for guidance and help.
Spiritual
growth comes by solving problems together—not by running from them. Today’s
inordinate emphasis on individualism brings egotism and separation. Two
individuals becoming 'one flesh' is still the Lord’s standard.
The
secret of a happy marriage is to serve God and each other. The goal of marriage
is unity and oneness, as well as self-development. Paradoxically, the more we
serve one another, the greater is our spiritual and emotional growth.”
I’ve
learned time and time again the importance of budgets. Matt has been very
patient with me on this. The most recent occurrence being our unemployment.
Thankfully for us, our understanding of budgets helped us through that
frustrating period of time.
President
Eyring says, “Have you
noticed husbands and wives who feel pinched for lack of money choose for a
solution ways to make their family income keep rising but soon find that the
pinch is there whatever the income? There is an old formula which goes something
like this: Income five dollars and expenses six dollars: misery. Income four
dollars and expenses three dollars: happiness. President Brigham Young said it this
way, speaking to us as much as he did to the people in his day: 'If you wish to
get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to
save and dispose of it to his own advantage. Then go to work, and save
everything, and make your own bonnets and clothing.'
In
today’s world, instead of telling young couples to make bonnets, President
Young might suggest they think carefully about what they really need in cars,
clothes, recreation, houses, vacations, and whatever they will someday try to
provide for their children.”
I know at times we want to “keep up with the Jones’s,”
but I for one do not envy the Jones’s debt!
Lastly,
A quote by President Kimball: “Marriage partners must be quick to forgive. If
we will sue for peace, taking the initiative in settling differences-if we
forgive and forget with all our hearts… if we forgive all real or fancied
offenses before we ask forgiveness for our own sins-if we pay our own debts,
large or small, before we press our debtors-if we manage to clear our own eyes
of the blinding beams before we magnify the motes in the eyes of others-what a
glorious world this would be! Divorce would be reduced to a minimum; courts
would be freed from disgusting routines; family life would be heavenly; the
building of the kingdom would go forward at an accelerated pace; and the peace
which passeth understanding would bring to us all a joy and happiness which has
hardly ‘entered into the heart of man.’”
Here
comes the stork! In nearly all the resources I drew from, I came across the
same line from the proclamation: “Happiness in family life is most likely to be
achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.” My parents
did their absolute best here. My eight brothers and sisters had one of the
quirkiest childhoods kind of ever. Last Summer we had a family reunion. My
parents, all their children, our spouses, and grandchildren. I had set up an
event page on Facebook where we went crazy posting all the memories and inside
jokes accumulated over the years. It got to be so funny, Matt and other in-laws
thought us kind of strange. My sister-in-law actually understood my brother
better because she learned the background to some of the things he still does.
Among
my more fond memories there is Family Home Evening. One theme night was called
“Dad’s Favorite Proverbs.” I think we even had a theme song. I love it when the
lesson plan was delegated to the kids. Taking turns planning spiritual
devotionals has been personally beneficial to me. Another memory is of “Child
of the Week.” Sounds weird I know but it solved a lot of contentious issues.
Issues such as who got the toy in the cereal box who got shot gun in the
station wagon. Who got a night out with Dad all by themselves. Another memory I
hold dear is that my family sat in the front pew at church for years. Because
of that I learned the need for reverence in church. There are numerous examples
wherein my parents taught by example and by precept.
We need to teach our children right and wrong. They need to know it is wrong to cheat, lie, steal or covet. President Benson mentions children should be “taught to work at home.” Learn that “honest labor develops dignity and self-respect.” My family had paper routes, babysitting and part-time jobs early on in our youth. Even the youngest kids made money folding newspaper inserts. Chores, dare I say, are important.
We need to teach our children right and wrong. They need to know it is wrong to cheat, lie, steal or covet. President Benson mentions children should be “taught to work at home.” Learn that “honest labor develops dignity and self-respect.” My family had paper routes, babysitting and part-time jobs early on in our youth. Even the youngest kids made money folding newspaper inserts. Chores, dare I say, are important.
President
Benson says, “The most
important teachings in the home are spiritual. Parents are commanded to prepare
their sons and daughters for the ordinances of the gospel: baptism, confirmation, priesthood ordinations, and temple marriage. They
are to teach them to respect and honor the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Most
importantly, parents are to instill within their children a desire for eternal
life and to earnestly seek that goal above all else.” James D Macarthur,
Director Counseling and Career Center at BYU says, “In a functional family,
parents intentionally strengthen their families.” He goes on to note that
children watch our every move, so what kind of example do we want to set? Would
we like to see them be patient? We must be so. Would we like to see them relax,
have fun and learn to enjoy life? Important, so yes! Do we want them to read their scriptures?
Yes. So we make sure they see us doing it, and try to read to them. I personally
enjoy an opportunity to attend the temple. I love to tell the boys me or Dad is
going there. I love to take them there!
Happy family
relationships result from faith in Jesus Christ; establishing a solid
foundation unequal to any other way.
The rising
generation. Nothing fueled my ego more as a youth than to be told my generation
was a chosen one to come forth in this day and age. I see it in the youth of
our ward family. I see it in my children. Each generation is a chosen one and
we need the strength of the youth in our world as we know it today. Who helps
us obtain that strength? Our parents! Quentin L Cook gave some amazing counsel
when he said, “Always
be grateful for your blessings, especially your heritage. When we are blessed
with goodly parents, we should be grateful. This is the debt each of us owes
for our heritage.
An old
Chinese proverb reads, “When you drink the water, don’t forget the well from
whence it sprung.” It is clear from the scriptures that we are to honor our
parents. A proverb reads, “My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake
not the law of thy mother.”
Perhaps
my favorite example of family comes from Lehi in the Book of Mormon. The
hunting party suffers great loss from broken bows and strings. Everybody is
hungry. Nobody is happy; not even Lehi, the patriarch. Nephi could have maybe
taken matters into his own hands. Stepping up where Lehi faltered; but no. He
readied himself with what weapons he could muster, and asked his father,
“Whither shall I go to obtain food?” Nephi respected his father. Lehi was the
leader of his family.
I want
to draw your attention to the fifth of the Ten Commandments. I’m a fan of
finding “if/then statements” in the scriptures. This is the only one of these
Ten Commandments with a “then” statement or rather a blessing immediately
tacked onto it. “Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long
upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”
The
Apostle Paul wrote of perilous times when he said “men shall be lovers of their
own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents,
unthankful, unholy…” How grateful I am for the example of Nephi and for my In-Laws who raised five wonderful people!
Elder Cook
goes on to teach this: “commit yourself to the eternal institution of the
family as the foundation for happiness. In the world at large, many are
choosing not to get married or are delaying marriage. The family is an eternal
institution ordained of God from before the foundation of the world. Most
people will marry and be blessed with children. There is no greater blessing in
this life than having children. Some of the most poignant passages in all of
scripture capture the sublime significance of children in our Heavenly Father’s
plan. They are truly “an heritage of the Lord”
Elder
Cook shares a story, “When I was in my 20s, President David O. McKay
(1873–1970) gave a prophetic message about marriage and children. He was 95
years old and in the last year of his life. He taught that the pure love
between a man and a woman “is one of the noblest things on earth, and the
bearing and rearing of children the highest of all human duties.
For
those not yet married, you should move forward with faith and confidence toward
the ultimate goal of marriage and family. I would counsel you to find a
righteous spouse whom you admire and who will be your best friend. I assure you
that the joy, love, and fulfillment experienced in loving, righteous families
produce the greatest possible happiness we can achieve.”
Elder
Porter of the Seventy says, “We live in a
day when the love of many, even toward their own children, is waxing cold; a
day when so many people love pleasures more than God; a day when good is called
evil and evil good. Those who defend the traditional family, who stand for
fidelity and chastity and all that once was considered wholesome and
praiseworthy are mocked and ridiculed. On the other hand, those who see no
problem with fatherless homes, who advocate abortion, who fight all attempts to
limit pornography, and who seek to redefine the very essence of what a family
is, are praised and upheld as champions of tolerance. Truly, the world has
turned upside down.”
James
Lincoln Collier says, “This is an
extremely unusual circumstance—perhaps unique in human experience. In no known human society, past or present, have children
generally been raised outside of an intact nuclear family. The nuclear
family is one of the most basic of all human institutions, a system of doing
things so fundamental that until this century it occurred to very few people
that life could exist without it.”
A couple
more comparisons that Elder Oaks makes with priesthood in church and in family
involve boundaries and duration. He says, “Church
organizations like wards, quorums, or auxiliaries always have geographic
boundaries that limit the responsibility and authority of the callings
associated with them. In contrast, family relationships and responsibilities
are not dependent upon where different family members reside.
Church
callings are always temporary, but family relationships are permanent.”
So here we are: Families- no distance between,
no duration of time can change its eternal nature.
I had
a friend who didn’t want to have children because she felt like people try to
‘play God’ by doing it. At the time I merely looked at her like a dear in the
headlights. But later as I collected my thoughts, I said to myself, no. I am
not ‘playing God’, I am becoming like Him. Everything I’ve done from attending
school, moving out, getting married and having children, I have more and more
in common with my mom. I relate to her more and more on a personal level. So it
is with my Heavenly Father. I’ve had teachable moments with my kids that I
realize my Heavenly Father has had with me. And precious are the moments of
shared joy and shared pain. What a concept families are! What privilege
parenthood is. I share this with you, in the name of my Brother, my exemplar,
my advocate to the Father, even Jesus Christ, Amen.
~The Hoveys
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing. That was a great talk and some good reminder! I like the part about equal partners :)
Post a Comment