I love the movie "The Incredibles". I could analyze the movie all day. Parts of it even choke me up EVERY time I watch it. In the extra footage on the bonus DVD, there are deleted scenes. Among that there is an alternate opening to the movie. The alternate opening has our lead couple married with one baby, already gone into hiding from their super identities. In an attempt at normalcy, they attend a neighborhood BBQ where Helen meets a career woman. The woman has no interest in the fact Helen is a homemaker. Helen, chatting with other new moms, then overhears the career woman speaking. The conversation goes as follows:
Woman: "Throwing away my prime years trailing after a bunch of snotty kids? No thank you! Hello, no thanks! Hello! I wanna do something with my life!"
Helen: "Wait a minute! You consider raising a family, nothing?"
Woman: "Well, it's fine. If you're not suited for more substantial things."
Helen: "Do you have any idea how much suffering would fail to take root if more people were just good parents?"
Woman: "W-why..."
Helen: "What's more important than that? What kind of job? A job saving lives? Is that important? What about risking my life? What about confronting evil on a daily basis for years so that people like you can sleep in safety and security? Would you consider that kind of job substantial?"
Woman: "Um, yeah, yeah. I would, yes. I would."
Helen: "Well that's the job I gave up for my new job. Raising a family. And nobody's gonna tell me it's any less important."
Woman: "I am so, so sorry. I meant no offense. What on earth did you used to do?"
And that is when Helen realizes she was bit too close to shouting she was a superhero. But I love it. I love it! Nothing like that conversation makes the movie. A fact to be lamented. Seriously though, the movie is great as it is.
And I love parenthood.
~The Hoveys
Dec 31st, 2013
1 year ago
3 comments:
I've watched the incredibles several times and I have never seen that part! Being a stay at home mom is such a hard job, but it's the most rewarding one I've ever had. {However, some paid time off once and a while would be nice =)}
It's me again =) I dont know if you've ever been to theredheadedhostess.com but she is an amazing person and member of the church. She is participating in a blog thing that teaches and promotes the Proclamation to the family (look at her August 29th post) I'm not actually participating in it, but I think the information and study helps will be great. Just thought I'd pass it on incase you wanted to take a look!
~The Halverstadts
Love that conversation! I missed that one. It's hard in our society to fell like your not "missing out" by staying home all day to be there for your family. It's important to remember the worth of our "job" ;)
Post a Comment