Beware of a bunch of random thoughts!
OK, I don't know how many of you can relate to this, but I can remember when Zeke was born it was weird calling him by his name because it was a new name belonging to this person that we didn't know. Then when Reid was born I had spells where I was freaked out because I wondered if I loved Reid as much. I know that those feelings were a combination of my hormones and not really knowing this little person named Reid. Well, Gwen is just a few weeks old, but I already feel very well acquainted with her. So my suspicion is that there is just an amazing connection between a mother and her daughter, or we just had an awful lot of one on one time in the first several days!
But I do. I feel like I just know Gwen.
OK, lots of silly things being said and done in our little family. Mostly- I'd say, by Zeke. I will try to remember them all. Some of the funnier things (at least to us) that he has bee saying have to be written before I forget them!
I'm changing Gwen's poopy diaper, and he says, "Eew gross! That looks like little pickles!"
Then when Gwen still had her umbilical cord on he called it "The Yucky Thing".
When her cord fell off he said, "Will another one come out?"
Gwen and I went thrift store shopping last Saturday, and as we were leaving Zeke said, "Mommy, be careful. Don't crash and get hurt and die. The police will come and help you." I had no idea how to respond to that one!
Last night Matt had to be at the church so he brought Reid for some one on one time. At home it was Zeke, Gwen and myself. I was trying to keep Gwen awake so she'd sleep longer and Zeke wanted to hold her. As you can imagine, she wasn't too keen on the idea of staying awake so as Zeke held her she was crying. Well, it isn't very fun to hold a crying baby-especially at the age of four, so he starts to hover his hand over her face. I asked him what he was doing, and his response was, "I don't want to see her like this!"
And for whatever reason, on two or three different occasions, he has wanted to strip down to his underwear "like a Nephite", and play. Wacky, I know...
Reid has just really taken to showing off. Or at lease asking for attention in whatever way he can get it. That actually gets old pretty quick but he is cute!
We polished off his Halloween candy one afternoon, and he was holding a Snickers bar. Gwen's arm went flailing as any newborn and it collided with Reid's hand holding his candy. So he gets protective and yells, "No! Mine!"-Or something to that effect. It wasn't in a bratty way, but the fact he felt a need to declare his possessions to an infant is funny.
He does like Gwen a lot. frequently pointing out her facial features and naming them. When he gives her kisses he doesn't quite touch her for some reason.
Another umbilical cord story is every time Reid would see hers he'd call it "poop".
Poor kid. Just yesterday afternoon he fell down the steps. I don't know how he did it. But boy did I arrive at the scene quickly and frantically! He appeared to show no injuries at first and then like a minute later his nose started bleeding. I don't think Reid has had one of those yet but he was calm. He said he wanted to sit, so we cuddled and read a book until he felt better.
He is starting to say prayers now. With help and with only saying one word out of three, but he LOVES doing it, which thing is so precious.
Some of my favorite phrases from Reid are, "Oh, OK." "Oh, I see." "K?"(meaning are you OK?) "Touch!" (meaning don't touch) "Here it is!" I could go on...
So Grandma Terrie said it best when she said Gweneth looks like a "Matt and Maggie baby". As I look at her, I think she has the same nose as Zeke, eyes as Reid and mouth I think is like Zeke's too but the jury is still out on that one. Her ears are her own! Can't figure out if their mine or Matt's or what.
As I previously mentioned, we kept her up yesterday to facilitate better sleep last night. Second night in row that I have really been pushing it. First night was alright. She slept longer between meals, but still ate all of them. Last night she slept even longer and skipped a meal. I don't know whether it was just a fluke, or if we can do that two nights in a row or anything, but boy was it nice!
Progress in the basement includes all the framing being completely finished. We need to insulate part of a wall, rewire-adding a couple outlets, and I think that is it before adding drywall. But there are several areas where w can just start putting up the drywall anyway. Matt is going to start that soon I think. We really need to kidnap our buddy, Steve, because coordinating schedules is REALLY hard. But we'll get there. He is our electrician!
The newest book from the Wheel of Time series is out, and Matt has read it. I am reading another really long book, which I could take a break from to read WoT, but I've decided not to. I'll get though it all eventually!
Well, I've typed enough. We are all well here and hope that this post finds you well. Thank you for your prayers. We are in the process of finding a new pediatrician for the kids. Daunting but necessary.
~the Hoveys
Dec 31st, 2013
1 year ago
3 comments:
Sounds like everything is coming together. Those boys of yours are so cute with their little sister. Are by chance following "Babywise" in getting your little on to sleep? We tried it with Katelyn and gave up b/c we thought she was doing good on her own and then, BAM, two or three weeks later she totally changed on us. So good for you for trying to get Gwen on a schedule.
Maggie, to answer your questions, yes. I liked the book and wish I'd have started a little earlier with it. I waited till she was a month and a half or so b/c she naturally was following along with what they say in the book (at least fairly close to it). I did find that most of what I was doing was what the book said, but I wasn't as strict on sticking to the schedule for waking her up to eat or have awake time if she happened to fall asleep. After a month I pretty much stopped paying attention to what the book said and just went off of her schedule--which was a bad idea b/c her sleep times totally shifted a little while later. I often wondered if I'd have been more of a stickler with waking her up or keeping her awake if she'd have done better. GOOD LUCK to you. Sleep deprivation is so hard.
Love the cute stories from your kid's "saying" adorable! :) I'm glad your enjoying this time while they are young...(it goes too fast). Can't wait to see pics of the basement when it's done.
Post a Comment