Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pediatric Ophthalmologist

Today Gwen had an appointment with her eye doctor. How do they do that for an 18 day-old baby, you ask? Well I'll tell you. They put drops in her eyes to dilate them and the doctor asked me whether I wanted to leave the room or not because with a baby so young they typically give drops that numb the eye lids, then put a contraption on her face to keep her eyes open and then they'd press her bulbs in as a part of the exam or whatever. He said she'd cry during it. All this was beyond fascinating, so I said I'd stay. I mean come on! I sat through a failed lumbar puncture, an EEG, an MRI, two blood draws and two ultrasounds. I can sit through this. But apparently Gwen is extremely compliant and didn't need any of that.
Every last thing about her eyes are healthy. The nerve, he said, that ACC effects is healthy. I am supposed to keep an eye on her milestones. If she hits them. Also, if she should go cross eyed, then make sure it doesn't happen longer than five minutes at a time. So, something else to keep an eye on-so to speak.
So the doctor said her vision would be blurry and she'd be sensitive to light because of the dilation. I worried for her honestly, because I've had mine dilated and I was so sick! Blurriness obviously not an issue because she can't see well yet anyway, but we tried to keep her in the shade. I remember throwing up so I wondered if she would. Well tonight I think she did. It was everywhere! Alas, she was no longer hungry, and appears to be fine still. So I s'pose it was nothing to worry about!
We will go back at the end of January for her next appointment.

We went to pick Matt up from work and he brought us inside to show off the baby to coworkers. There is a woman named Sheena who I've come to know a little bit. As much as a spouse can get to know her hubby's coworkers. She gave a beautiful gift basket to us when Reid was born, so she was surprised to see how big he is now. She thought Gwen was adorable-of course. :) Sheena is a part of the department that Matt used to work in so after seeing her we went to where he works now and showed off the family. His coworkers all chuckled because Matt's boss chose today to go home a little early so she missed us. Oh well.

Yesterday Mom came to help out around the house. OH BOY was that welcome! Zeke just LOVES her. We unwound at the end of the night by watching "What About Bob". Here's a clip, but you might only care to watch it up to 1:07, because that is my favorite part :


All in all it was a productive and fun day! Thank you, Mom!

I am excited about Thursday. Another Sunbeam Mom is gonna take the boys for the morning and let me do other stuff. My options are endless! I could sleep, or sleep, or sleep! We'll see.

Well that is it for now.
~The Hoveys

5 comments:

Christine said...

Glad to hear all is well with her eyes! We were at the opthamologist with my oldest this week. They guy started putting drops in my son's eye without telling him what he was doing (he held his eyelid open with a Qtip) but did say "It will burn". It did. My son was trying to handle it "like a man" but I could tell it was very uncomfortable. The doctor kept asking Taylor if he wanted a sticker...or a gold star...Taylor declined..then the doctor said "I have a Panda sticker!..How about a Panda sticker??!!" No thanks. Taylor just wanted him to be quiet and let him get through it. I think sticker distraction works when your 5....not so much at 14!

The Zoo Keeper said...

What good news! I'm just curious did the appointment last for hours? I've had to take Will in a couple of times and have another appointment in a couple of months. I can handle all the tests and whatnot, but It's so hard keeping him entertained for the three to four hours that the appointment always takes.

Stephanie said...

Good news. I'm glad that you were fascinated at the opthamologist. I would have had to leave. You are such a good mom.

Lifes Little Adventures said...

I am glad things went well at the oprthamologist. I hope you continue to have agreat week!

Allison Nelson said...

Hi Maggie! I've been meaning to comment for a few weeks now but always seem to get swamped at work. I stay up on your blog, btw. So... CONGRATS on your beautiful new baby girl. What a blessing. Peter and I are both very happy for you guys.