The Durham Museum had a New Year at Noon celebration-because, heaven forbid, they actually stay awake at midnight! We attended so that we could celebrate too!
Here the kids are in front of the Durham's enormous Christmas tree:
The craft room gave them a chance to make party hats, of which they modeled here:
This man was a magician:
Then we stood in line for balloon characters. Reid got creative with hiding places:
Luke needed to stretch his legs. He kept crawling under the ropes that are supposed to keep people out:
The balloon artist! Because of the large number of people wanting balloons, he only gave five options to choose from. The boys were both happy with swords and Gwen, with a giraffe:
Heading back up to the main level, we were entertained by a rather impressive children's music artist. He really got the kids involved.
Hundreds of balloons waiting to be dropped upon us at the noon countdown:
Hundreds of people waiting for the exact same thing. There were so many people!
So at about 7'o'clock, I drove to Lincoln for a 10K fun run that I was to do with a friend. I was expecting to have a number on my race tag, but got a tag with my name on it. Nice touch! After picking up my race packet, I hung out with my dad and we chatted and hugged and opened a present. Much fun!
So then the race begins. It was probably 15 degrees outside, and I've got a little more than 6 miles to run.
Rachael's husband, Jack, was doing his best to take good pictures. So we just run along and chatted and were thoroughly enjoying ourselves when I dropped back a couple feet. She asked how I was doing and I told her I couldn't keep her pace anymore. Rachael went on ahead and valiantly finished her race in a respectable time. Amazingly, I finished only about 10 minutes after her, I think. I was so proud and freakishly pumped after the whole thing!
Jack and Rachael were waiting for me to make my finish. I was flattered and felt very special. I had a really good kick at the end, too!
So here we are, red in the face and frozen hair. Super pleased and rather winded. I am sooo glad Rachael recruited me to do it. I'm also super glad I didn't sign up to run the race the next morning. It snowed. Yikes!
I didn't want to drive home after that, so I got to crash on Rebekah's couch. I talked to Matt on the phone while driving there, and we counted down the new year together. Yes, we did an air kiss over the phone. Ha ha! Rebekah and I didn't get a lot of sleep. I guess that is the nature of two sisters when they get together for a sleepover. :) We went out to eat at the restaurant she works at, called Greenfield's, I think. Super yummy food!
It was full day. A fun day. Now it is time for a new year. Happy New Year to you and yours!
~Hoveys
Dec 31st, 2013
1 year ago






No comments:
Post a Comment