Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rotella's Bakery Field Trip

 Okay, this has to be the coolest field trip so far. We needed to wear fancy shmancy hair nets and leave our cameras behind. So the group photos are all we could take.
Think of your kitchen mixer only what, forty times larger at least. Those mixers were filled by the graneries located nearby. It just gets piped in directly. So neat! Then placed into another machine that kneads and separates the dough into individual loaves.
 The oven, if I'm not mistaken, bakes like four thousand loaves at a time. I could be wrong, because it was awfully difficult to hear our tour guide, but I do know she said that they bake 400,000 loaves a day, so yeah. The wacky part for me was watching the hundreds of loaves of bread turn around in circles on a towering conveyer belt shelf type thing. So much delicious bread in one spot!
 Then they packaged it of course. I'd feel almost useless there because it looked like machines did EVERYTHING. It was just cool. As the pictures indicate, each child brought home a bag with a loaf of bread and a dozen bread sticks. How generous! Rock on Rotella's!

We went to the mall that same day. Taking a couple pictures while the Easter Bunny appeared to be on a lunch break. Hehehe...
 ~Hoveys

No comments: