Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Walking to the Temple

The young women in our ward walked from the church to the temple on Labor Day. They learned of an early member of the church whose name was John Rowe Moyle, who walked 44 miles round trip each week to work on, I think, the Salt Lake Temple. Five years into doing this, he was kicked by his cow. It wouldn't heal, so his leg was amputated. After carving a wooden leg, he again made the trip to meet the commitment he made. A conference talk by Sister Dalton, in April, will show you the true commitment these young women were making. They invited anyone who wanted to join them, to come. I did. Ours was an 18 mile walk.
I wanted to send Matt some pictures of landmarks as we passed them. I stopped after a while because we would just text saying where we are. But I thought some of these pictures were funny:

I don't know where exactly this is, but it is gorgeous!


We were crossing interstate 680, here.


Walmart was where we stopped to have lunch. So I found it noteworthy to take a picture!


Next was a farmers market. With a strange dummy I had to get a pic with.


At a bathroom stop, I found this sign. So... do they want students during school? I think I should send this in to Jay Leno's show.

The Young Women leaders are inspired loving women. I'm glad I tagged along. The girls moaned about aches and pains, but never once did they say they thought it was stupid, or pointless or any of that. I know they learned a lot yesterday.
On the flip side, the Boy Scouts chose the same day to do a 20 mile hike. So the youth in our ward covered 38 miles yesterday! Wow!
~the Hoveys

1 comment:

Christine said...

wow 18 miles. Good for you!! I love the sign...so if it was at a bathroom stop do they not want the teens using the bathroom?? Maybe they just want them using a bush. We have some food places close by the high school here and I think they love the high school students...well their money at least. I don't think they care that they are students as long as they are paying :)