Thursday, August 25, 2011

Reasons for School at Home

I would never write this post to be preachy or put myself on a pedestal. Not my intention at all. But my reasons for homeschooling are very personal. I wanted to share them.

Wisconsin's teacher strike. I cannot find a link I really like about this topic. I'm sure the story is well known though.

Georgia's teachers cheating on tests.

Teacher/student relationships.

Outrageous "teacher training" and curricula.

School violence.

Teacher discipline.

I actually kinda like this teacher. It is the parents who could probably rethink things.

Student payoffs.


"Aren't you worried about their socialization?" and "Aren't you worried that they won't learn enough?" Are commonly asked questions. To the former, I would answer your question with a question: Aren't you worried too? There are bullies, pecking orders and all manner of immoral things going on anymore.
To the latter question I say, "Yes!" Again asking, aren't you? I do not want spend my family time counter-teaching the things they're taught. There are teachers who only teach what they know will show up on standardized testing. What are they missing out on? There too many political agendas being taught in schools, too. This does not sit well with me.
I am not saying things are going to go perfectly all the time here at home. But after a bad day I don't hope for someone to think they're helping me by telling me I can always sign 'em up! Just like I wouldn't immediately jump in and say they can always bring 'em home!
So anyway, I'm really happy to home school. I hear parents sigh with relief when school starts, and moan when the holidays seem too long. So happy are they when their children are in the hands of others for eight hours a day. That crushes my spirit. How sad. I mean, who doesn't feel like they need a time out on occasion? But still!

Anyway, thanks for allowing me my soapbox.
~Maggie




1 comment:

The Rehomesteaders said...

Thank you for sharing Maggie. I love your sense of humor and common sense approach to home schooling! I don't know that I'll be brave enough to home school but I do agree with you on several points, especially when parents groan about their kids. I sure hope they don't say that to their children's faces. Anyway, wonderful blog!