Alright, if this comes across scattered I apologize. I will try to make sense!
Doctor Wright is Gwen's neurologist. She is pretty nice. She basically says she'd put Gwen's development at the same level as that of an infant who is not quite two months of age. Gwen is four months as of February 22nd.
She observed that a couple newborn reflexes that Gwen still has are a little stronger than she thinks they should be in a four month old. When she holds her head it is still a little shaky. Wright also says Gwen should be pushing up on her hands and rolling over. Gwen is not doing those things. Gwen follows and bats at objects, but is not very good at grabbing them. At this point she should be.
Doctor Wright asked where I thought she was in development compared to her brothers, and I admitted that I felt she is behind.
This is where I think Doctor Wright contradicted herself a bit. She assured me that as long as Gwen grows and progresses she is still hitting her milestones. She said if Gwen walks at 18 months, that's ok, as long as she is walking. If she talking at four or five years, that is ok, as long as she is talking. So as long as she still grows and progresses she is doing alright. But then the contradiction is this: she wants me to call the school system and have them evaluate Gwen for early intervention. Help her meet milestones, I suppose. Do you see? Like, I don't particularly understand how that works. Help her meet her goals, even if they come in her own time, yet, get her help NOW! Because she needs early intervention. Hmm...
Gwen goes back on July 5th.
That is essentially it. I don't love that the blog is the first source that most of you get for information! The good ol' reliable phone doesn't always get answered-or dialed!! Sorry! But I am still grateful for this form of journalism. That's right! That's what I said. :)
There was no concern over her social skills as far as I understand. I am grateful for her smiles and chuckles. The way she gets the hiccups when she laughs too much. She is our angel.
~the Hoveys
Dec 31st, 2013
1 year ago
4 comments:
I think I kind of get what your Doctor was saying...when Whitney was 2 she barely said Momma and Dadda so at her checkup our Doctor said..."I'm sure by 3-3 1/2 she'll be fine...but the school system has these services and they're free and they will certainly help." I think she's saying yes, she'll hit those milestones in her own time but if they can offer some support to her (and you) then why not? I found that we were as much in the therapy as Whitney was.
Thanks for the updates! I agree that putting it out on the blog is SO much easier than trying to personally keep everyone up to date.
I know the feeling of comparing milestones (I always loved those people that pointed them out to me when my children weren't hitting them) I agree with the other comment too, enjoy her and let her hit her milestones when she can but free help doesn't hurt either :) Ashley took speech at 3 at the school and she actually loved it (she thinks she started school 2 years earlier).
I still find myself remembering to appreciate my family for who they are not what they can and can't do (I have to remember it with all my family members :)
Glad your enjoying your precious baby girl. She's so sweet.
I think the main question for whether or not to ask for help from the school system is up to you and your expectations and desires for her growth and development. It is up to you whether you are ok without intervention with her meeting the milestones at her own pace, or if you would rather get help through the system to help her meet those milestones in a faster more age appropriate timeline.
I have found personally that when children receive early intervention they are able to progress in a more age appropriate timeline which enables them to keep up with or at least be less behind their peers in the same age group. I have seen intervention do amazing things for children with developmental disabilities.
Maggie,
I have had a little experience with early intervention, too. I think they can be very helpful to Gweneth,as well as you and Matt. They can teach you things that you can do to help Gweneth and give her every chance to develop and grow. They may even be able to link you to other families with some similar challenges.
I think your MD is also telling you that she doesn't really know what Gweneth is capable of doing and so it leaves the door wide open for her to progress and thrive at her pace. Her smiles and chuckles are a sweet blessing!! She is lucky to have such awesome parents.
Lorene & David
Post a Comment