Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chromosomes


One of the tests at Childrens Hospital was a chromosome analysis. It required two separate blood draws for little Gwen, and a few weeks to compile results-unlike those CSI shows where they get results two scenes later, ha ha!
Anyway, they called Matt and said that the result is a deletion- I believe they called it. Half of chromosome 16 never grew. Now, the woman he spoke to is not a geneticist, she really couldn't say other than that, and now we have to set up an appointment with one to learn what the significance of that is. Maybe even test the rest of the family. They might have to twist my arm as I'm not keen on that idea.
That is what we know on that.

So we are recipients of a beautiful upright piano. It has now been handed down at least twice. I love it! When the basement is finished and the TV and toys goes down there, the Living Room will hopefully be a nice, tranquil place! I look around the room and see that essentially the electronics are the only thing NOT handed down to us. Thank you to all the people over the last three years who have given us their functional refuse! :) We would be lost with out it!~the Hoveys

2 comments:

Kyra and Ben said...

They really should have someone who knows about genetics call b/c you know the parents are going to ask questions. Ah well, just one more way doctors can get our money. And congrats on the piano. Have you been playing everyday now?

Hoveys said...

Maggie,
I am really glad that you have been able to get some chromosome results. You are experiencing something similar to what my sister and her two little girls have gone through. Would you have any interest in her blog or talking with her? I think she could help you navigate the delightful medical system and give you some suggestions for helpful specialists in the midwest. We love the picture of Gweneth that you post on the home page. David says she has a beautiful, peaceful spirit and I agree, her spirit shines through the picture. we love to look at her. I am sure she is so excited and happy to be with her brothers and Mom and Dad. E-mail or call me please if I can help connect you with my sister. Happy Thanksgiving! Love, David and Lorene