Friday, October 29, 2010

Hospital Stay

Don't worry. This is about what has already happened. Not what is yet to. One week ago to the minute, I was being stuck with an epidural! Another 28 minutes and Gwen will be a week old.

For months we watched her grow in utero. Heard worse case scenarios and prepared mentally and emotionally for tests. We fasted, prayed. Enlisted family and friends to fast and pray. Then when she arrived, not one ultrasound or MRI was called for. She passed every newborn test with flying colors. She was released with me. The only problem was low blood sugar, but that was fixed by days' end.

Yes we counted our blessings. Yes. But were still left confused wanting. Not the baby's doctor but his partner came to see her. Nobody told me that. As far as I knew not ONE doctor had even looked at her yet and discharge was in less than a day. So when given a message to, he came back to talk to me. I think he was just trying to put me at ease about all the tests she passed and what is all this about some ultrasound and blah, blah! But I was mad. Why on earth would we not want a baseline knowledge of what Gweneth has to deal with? He said that if ped. neurology ordered an ultrasound on her head, that we could do it "outpatient" and wouldn't have to stay longer. So that was well and fine but still frustrating.

So Thursday comes and Matt and I took Gwen to our family doctor. He checked her out and was happy to report that she looks great! She gained three ounces coming home from the hospital, grew a quarter inch, and her head measures in the 25th percentile. Doctor Titus asks, "What are your concerns?" So I told him I hoped he'd order an ultrasound for her, and without hesitation he said when. Finally! Of course he'd want to know as much as he can about his patient! I didn't have to hear him make light of it or rationalize. So Thursday, November 4th, we will take her back to the hospital and find out just how much-if any, corpus collosum she possesses. In the meantime, we just enjoy her to no end.

Grandma Hovey came from Friday to Friday. So she left today. The boys went with Dad to see her off. I think that might an emotional car trip for my little guys. They clicked with her quickly. Reid's word for Grandma is "Mama" (Maw-maw). Just to clarify, he calls me mom. :) They loved showing off for her.


Now, this post is gonna be a little longer than it already is, but nobody is making you read it. :)

Our fall craft project for preschool/family home evening activity was... (drum roll), pumpkin carving!!!!!!
Pretty in pink:

4 comments:

Christine said...

What a cute baby ;) I love that you carved your pumpkins too...we haven't done ours yet...it's so messy I hate to do it but it's tradition. Good to hear that things are looking positive!

Chanda said...

She is adorable!

Alisa said...

cute pics! She is very beautiful. I hope everything turns out ok given the turn of events. Please keep us updated.

Unknown said...

ok! I was wondering the same thing! I knew you'd come home in what sounded like "normal" timing, but you hadn't said anything regarding MRI's and stuff! Mom always knows best!! I really hope you can get some answers quickly and that you can go home soon.*hug*hug*